Compile cannot find libg++ libraries and headers

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Compile cannot find libg++ libraries and headers
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2000 19:34:07 -0500 (CDT)

On 10-Apr-2000, Jim Easter <address@hidden> wrote:

| Apologies to all for rehashing a common problem:
|
| Octave compiles just fine on my home machine, yet on my work machine kicks
| back complaints about not finding cstdlib, cassert, complex.  I have
| installed libg++-compat-devel-2_7_2_3-1TL_i386.rpm

I have no idea what that is.

| and tinkered with the
| --includedir and --libdir options to ./configure, with no luck.

The --includedir and --libdir configure script options don't do
anything for setting the compiler -I or -L (or similar) flags.

| At the time I run ./configure, I get no complaints about not finding
| libraries.
|
| My symptoms appear to be identical to those reported by John Turner on 21
| Feb. 1997 (!)  However, further searching of the mail archives has not
| turned up a solution.  I suspect I just need to get the --includedir syntax
| exactly right, or set some symbolic links, or ... what?
|
| Any help you can give will be deeply appreciated.

Install a working compiler that knows where to look for a consistent
set of include files and libraries, and you can probably build Octave.

FWIW, I build Octave with gcc 2.95.x on most of of the systems that I
use now.  Even on Linux systems that use other compilers by default,
or supply some package file for gcc/egcs/whatever, I get the gcc
sources and build them with

  configure --prefix=/usr/local/gcc/VERSION

(substitute the actual number for VERSION) and then I use that
compiler to build Octave by putting /usr/local/gcc/VERSION/bin in my
PATH ahead of any other directory that might have a gcc binary.

Works for me.  YMMV.

jwe