mysterious files

From: Martin Buenner
Subject: mysterious files
Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 13:50:51 +0200

Dear octave users and developpers,

while running octave for some extensive calculations, which also invoke
shell scripts and read data from files, octave writes some mysterious
files to the directory /var/tmp. The operating system is HP-UX. The
files are called similar to oct-OHAa23643, where the PID of octave is
23643. In the file there is always some matrix in ascii format.

i.e. if I type 'more oct-KHAa23643', I will get

# name: /var/tmp/oct-KHAa23643
# type: matrix
# rows: 4
# columns: 2
 1700 -18.7502445728488
 1700 -20
 1750 -20
 1750 -18.7502445728488

Does anybody know where this comes from and how it is able to surpress
this behaviour?

Best regards.

Martin
* Dr. Martin J. Buenner                                         *
* EPCOS AG                                                      *
* Surface Acoustic Wave Components                              *
* OFW E NT                                                      *
* Anzinger Str. 13             Phone: ++49 89 636 26182         *
* D-81617 Munich               Fax:   ++49 89 636 27304         *
* Germany                      E-mail: address@hidden *