Re: octave in bg ????

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: octave in bg ????
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2000 14:09:49 -0600

On 13-Nov-2000, Daniel Heiserer <address@hidden> wrote:

| bingo. In "sh" it works. in tcsh syntax the shell complains about the
| "ambigous redirect".
| Without the "2>&1" it does not work in the "sh" either.
|
| > What terminal settings do you have (try running stty -a)?  In
| > particular, is tostop set?  What happens if you unset it (stty -tostop)?
|
| tostop is set. in particular:
| shell > stty -a
| speed 38400 baud; line = 1; 24 rows; 133 columns
| intr = ^C; quit = ^ŠÜ; erase = ^H; kill = ^U; eof = ^D; eol = ^@;
| old-swtch = ^Z; susp = ^Z
| lnext = ^V; werase = ^W; rprnt = ^R; flush = ^O; stop = ^S; start = ^Q;
| dsusp = ^Y
| -parenb -parodd cs8 -cstopb hupcl cread clocal -cnew_rtscts -loblk
| -ignbrk brkint ignpar -parmrk -inpck -istrip -inlcr -igncr icrnl -iuclc
| ixon ixany -ixoff -imaxbel
| isig icanon iexten -xcase echo echoe echok echoke echoctl -echoprt
| -echonl -noflsh -flusho -pendin -tostop
| opost -olcuc onlcr -ocrnl -onocr -onlret -ofill -ofdel tab3

No, that shows that tostop is not set.

| > Are you sure your script produces no output?
|
| the script does not produce ANY output.
|
| thanks so far.

OK.  I don't think Octave should close sdterr and stdout (or even
stdin) just because you are running in the background.  Most likely it
is just a shell/terminal settings issue that you can easily work
around, so unless someone can point to an actual bug in Octave, I
don't see anything that needs to be fixed.

jwe