debugging dynamic functions

From: Braddock Gaskill
Subject: debugging dynamic functions
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2001 11:13:07 -0500

Three questions:

1) What is the proper way to debug dynamically loaded octave functions using
gdb?

2) What is the 2.0.16 and 2.1.x behavior for loading and unloading DL functions?

3) What is the proper way to have .oct files pull in an outside library
they are dependant on?

A few years ago, I seem to remember that once I called a DL function
in octave, it stayed loaded, which actually caused symbol problems
because I had multiple DL functions which were glue to a single static
library of routines, so I statically linked one function which I ran
first.  Since then, the behavior seems to have changed: I can now
statically link the same library with a set of DL function .oct files
and not have any symbol conflicts.  Will having the .oct files link to
a shared library work?  I was assuming Octave now unloads the DLF
right after the call is made now?  Is there a clean way to do this?

For debugging DLFs, I've gathered that the right way is to wait until
the dlopen call, then start up gdb and attach it to the running octave
process with the symbols for the object to debug on the command line.
I haven't gotten this to work.  Am I close?

        Thanks,
        Braddock

--
Invention is 99% perspiration; is it fair to patent the 1% of inspiration? -BG