Plotting question

From: Douglas Eck
Subject: Plotting question
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 12:10:56 +0100

With every 100 loops or so in my neural network, I plot the
state of the system. I noticed if I use subplots, things get
really slow after a few hundred plots.

Here's a sample of what I mean. With this code snippet, the
gnuplot x program can't seem to keep up:

for i=1:1000
  subplot(1,2,1)
  plot(rand(1,10),'r')
  replot

  subplot(1,2,2)
  plot(rand(1,10),'b')
  replot
end

But without subplots, things seem to work just fine.
for i=1:1000
  plot(rand(1,10),'b')
  hold on
  plot(rand(1,10),'r')
  hold off
  replot
end

Anything obvious I'm missing?

PS I'm running Dirk's Debain 2.1.32 build on Debian Sid.

Regards,
Doug

--
Dr. Douglas Eck, http://www.idsia.ch/~doug
Istituto Dalle Molle di Studi sull'Intelligenza Artificiale (IDSIA)