Re: GNU plot alternative

From: Ketil Froyn
Subject: Re: GNU plot alternative
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2001 12:32:55 +0200 (CEST)

On Mon, 9 Apr 2001, Etienne Grossmann wrote:

> #  3°) If I produce (with a little team) a new toolbox for octave (with the
> GPL
> #  license of course), where can I submit/post it ?
>   This list should be a good place. If the source is not very small, I
> think the best is to send an "announce" mail with a description of the
> work and an URL where it can be found.

I'm pretty new around here myself, but I thought that
address@hidden was the correct place to post
sources. I also wish that octave had a better plotter, though. I ran a
test against matlab (on 2 separate computers), and called the same
function many times, both with and without plotted the results. I ran
octave on a faster computer, so without plotting, octave completed in
about half the time. With plotting, octave used an order of magnitude
longer before it was complete. And it is not possible to zoom by clicking
with gnuplot, as far as I can tell. That is a feature I miss.

Which reminds me... I had to call "gset nokey" to get the wanted behaviour
while I was plotting, which IMHO should be the default behaviour. I
plotted 140 datasets in one graph, and the labels were all over the place.
:)

I use GNU Octave, version 2.1.33 (i686-pc-linux-gnu), and the speed test
was against matlab 5.

Ketil