to: Paul Kienzle - performance comparison info. req.

From: Marc Compere
Subject: to: Paul Kienzle - performance comparison info. req.
Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 12:13:41 -0500

Paul,

        On pages 6 & 7 of
http://www.hammersmith-consulting.com/octave/download/eaton-proc.pdf
Dr. Eaton referenced you as the one who did some performance comparisons on
octave's interpreted environment versus several other (compiled) environments.

        Would it be possible for you to make (any of) those programs available?

Actually, I'm most interested in the Octave/Matrix entry.  It seems the
closest to native octave & is the fastest implementation.  I'd like to learn
more about the fastest way to use compiled octave.

        Ultimately, I'm considering undertaking a project to create something
like
Matlab's compiler.  I really want a freeware m2c converter (or m2f or m2c++)
to take full advantave of the interpreted development environment and with
minimal effort (i.e. a single translation from m-files to C++) get compiled
execution speed. To date, I have not seen an m2c converter. Do you have any
more advice or comments?

Thanks for your help,
Marc

 Marc Compere, The University of Texas at Austin
 address@hidden, (512) 826-0729,   <><
 http://nerdlab.me.utexas.edu/~compere