clues to statically building octave w/extensions?

From: A. Danial
Subject: clues to statically building octave w/extensions?
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 21:20:46 -0700

I mentioned not being able to run mkoctfile (2.1.34) on an AIX
4.3.2 system w/gcc 2.95.2.  Although I don't know what the problem
is for sure, I think it has to do with gcc's not accepting the
-rdynamic flag.

In any case I've gotten nowhere trying to build a gcc on AIX that
lets mkoctfile run.  Since I'm tired of having my AIX systems lag my
linux boxes (where everything always works fine, first time), I
figured I should take another approach to adding extensions to
octave.  Instead of building dynamically loaded executables I'm
willing to rebuild the entire octave install each time I want to
add a .oct file.

Are there any instructions/hints/clues that explain what I need to
do to the octave sources to statically compile in my own
functions?  If someone could explain how to do this with
oregonator.cc I'll try to figure it out from there, and also will
document the procedure for possible future inclusion in a future
release of the octave docs.        -- Al