Re: clues to statically building octave w/extensions?

From: Bill Lash
Subject: Re: clues to statically building octave w/extensions?
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 10:01:20 -0500

"A. Danial" wrote:

> I mentioned not being able to run mkoctfile (2.1.34) on an AIX
> 4.3.2 system w/gcc 2.95.2.  Although I don't know what the problem
> is for sure, I think it has to do with gcc's not accepting the
> -rdynamic flag.
>
> In any case I've gotten nowhere trying to build a gcc on AIX that
> lets mkoctfile run.  Since I'm tired of having my AIX systems lag my
> linux boxes (where everything always works fine, first time), I
> figured I should take another approach to adding extensions to
> octave.  Instead of building dynamically loaded executables I'm
> willing to rebuild the entire octave install each time I want to
> add a .oct file.
>
> Are there any instructions/hints/clues that explain what I need to
> do to the octave sources to statically compile in my own
> functions?  If someone could explain how to do this with
> oregonator.cc I'll try to figure it out from there, and also will
> document the procedure for possible future inclusion in a future
> release of the octave docs.        -- Al

I seem to remember doing this once long ago, when I was having
problems getting dynamic linking to work correctly.

If I remember correctly, what I did was the following:

Put the source file in the directory src/DLD-FUNCTIONS

In the src directory, modify the makefile to add the file
to the DLD_XSRC definition.

Recompile octave

There may be better ways, but I think that worked.  Again, this is
from memory and by looking at the current source tree.

In the end, I finally figured out that the way things were installed
at work was hosed, and found a way to make dynamic linking work.

Hope this helps.

Bill