Re: Octave / Win 2000 memory limitations

From: Jonathan Drews
Subject: Re: Octave / Win 2000 memory limitations
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 22:30:41 -0500

Hi Chris:

On Friday 15 June 2001 01:40, Chris Mellen wrote:
> I am currently running Octave 2.1.31 on a Windows 2000 machine with 512Mb
> of RAM using the Cygwin bash shell. The biggest array I can create before
> seeing  "error: memory exhausted -- trying to return to prompt" has only
> about 2100000 elements. Eg, at the command prompt :
>
> temp=zeros(2100000,1);
>
> is ok whereas
>
> temp=zeros(2200000,1);
>
> is not. This array should occupy only about 17Mb - far short of what is
> available. I have tried looking for a fix/switch etc in the documentation /
> FAQS etc but with no luck. I am not sure if there is a simple fix or if in
> fact I am encountering a limitation of the Win2K Dos environment.

 It sounds like your OS is using up a lot of memory. I was able to get
temp=zeros(40000000,1); (almost 20 times your amount). I was also running two
Xservers at once plus compiling the new KDE desktop at the time I tested your
temp function. I have the same amount of RAM as you (512 Mb).  I have in the
past done 4000x4000 floating point matrices and then inverted them and
multiplied. i.e.

a = rand(4000,4000)
inv(a)*a

and Octave did it with no problem; it took a little while but it gave the
identity matrix.

 You should consider making your computer dual boot. Get a Linux distro like
SuSE or Mandrake and jsut make it dual boot. The install for Mandrake is a
cinch. HTH

> Any suggestions much appreciated !
>
> Chris

                                                Cheers,