Unable to see the output image on issuing: imshow(pel,255);

From: Arvind Raman
Subject: Unable to see the output image on issuing: imshow(pel,255);
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2001 12:38:43 +0530

Hi,
I wrote the following simple program in octave

fptr = fopen("lena.raw","rb","ieee-le");
[pel,count] = fread(fptr,[512,512],"uchar");
imshow(pel,255)

I am working on the linux environment an have xloadimage installed. When
I issued the command imshow() a window was created but I could see
nothing.
The "lena.raw" file is raw image file, with each pixel being coded in 8
bit format. The image size if  512x512.

Are there any settings that I have to do before I can see the image or
is there something wrong with my program.

Thanks and regards
Arvind