Re: NT, Octave and Cygwin

From: adler
Subject: Re: NT, Octave and Cygwin
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2001 20:41:04 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 31 Jul 2001, Mumit Khan wrote:
> On Tue, 31 Jul 2001, Craig Stoudt wrote:
> > Does anyone know how to get the windows port of octave
> > (2.1.31) and the cygwin package to peacefully coexist
> > under Windows NT4.0?
>
> One sure way is to get the Octave sources and build it yourself.
> It should build out of the box, and if not, please report any
> problems you may run into.

This works fine for building octave (although I've noticed
with cygwin on pentium 4's, configure doesn't get the
host correctly, so you have to do
./configure --build=i686-pc-cygwin --host=i686-pc-cygwin )

However, there is a trick for gnuplot.

1. Get win32 gnuplot from www.gnuplot.org. Install it
at Drive:/path/to/wgnuplot.exe

2. Get pipe-gnuplot.exe, put it in you PATH

3. In octave, set
gnuplot_binary="pipe-gnuplot.exe Drive:/path/to/wgnuplot.exe"

4. from cygwin,
mount Drive:/tmp /tmp

This last step is important, so that octave and gnuplot can
co-operate about where the temprorary files are stored, since
octave uses cygwin directory naming, and gnuplot uses
win32 naming.

Additionally, if you want image() to work, you need to
edit image.m to add the image viewer of your choice

For example, change the line
  xv = sprintf ("xv -expand %f %s", zoom, ppm_name);
  xv = sprintf ("i_view32 %s", ppm_name);
I use i_view32 from irfanview.com, as I don't know of
another win32 viewer that understands ppm images.

Hope this helps
Andy Adler,                address@hidden