Atlas libs and lsode?

From: Douglas Eck
Subject: Atlas libs and lsode?
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 15:05:51 +0200

Are you tired of hearing about lsode yet?

I loaded the atlas libraries specifically compiled for
debian. They sped up general matrix ops drastically,
both in dynamically linked progs and in regular .m files.
The speedup is drastic... 10x.

However, they slightly slow down calls to lsode.
The slowdown is much less drastic, on the order of
10% but it's there. I'm wondering why this is and if
I can fix it such that lsode is faster.

Code attached for the curious. Just do this:
mkoctfile atlasDyn.cc. Then from octave run atlasDriver twice, once with the
atlas libraries, once without. On my debian
box, I can turn off the libraries by simply removing
 the appropriate line from LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

Also of interest in this code: when you run the same
ode from within a dynamically linked file versus
from a .m file, the speedup is on the order of 100x faster!
Your mileage may vary.

Cheers,
Doug
--
Dr. Douglas Eck, http://www.idsia.ch/~doug
Istituto Dalle Molle di Studi sull'Intelligenza Artificiale (IDSIA)