Fw: Re: help: typing 's' on keyboard beeps

From: Berni Joss
Subject: Fw: Re: help: typing 's' on keyboard beeps
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2001 22:38:38 +0100

As promised, here is some news about the 's'->beep conversion saga:
I found that commenting the line:
source /etc/inputrc

in the .inputrc file of my home directory "re-enabled" the lower case 's'
The file /etc/inputrc contains: ==============================

# do not bell on tab-completion
#set bell-style none

set meta-flag on
set input-meta on
set convert-meta off
set output-meta on

$if mode=emacs

# for linux console and RH/Debian xterm
"\e[1~": beginning-of-line
"\e[4~": end-of-line
"\e[5~": beginning-of-history
"\e[6~": end-of-history
"\e[3~": delete-char
"\e[2~": quoted-insert

# for rxvt
"\e[8~": end-of-line

# for non RH/Debian xterm, can't hurt for RH/DEbian xterm
"\eOH": beginning-of-line
"\eOF": end-of-line

# for freebsd console
"\e[H": beginning-of-line
"\e[F": end-of-line
$endif

== end of /etc/inputrc ============================

I hadn't time so far in further identifying the command converting all 's'
typed in octave 2.1.33 into beeps.
At first sight I see nothing offending in the /etc/inputrc file above ...
... but then I don't really understand much of it either!

Berni.

On Mon, 29 Oct 2001 09:08:08 -0500
"Steve Goncalo" <address@hidden> wrote:

> No solution, but some questions...
>
> What kind of platform are you on?
Redhat 7.1; kernel 2.4.9-6; i586

> What version of gcc do you have?
2.96

> Are you comparing a precompiled 2.0.16
yes

> to a 2.1.3x that you built yourself?
no; also pre-compiled and distributed by redhat

> If you create a script file "SCRIPT.m", can you use
> lowercase s in it (e.g. sin(0) )?
yes, works fine

> If so, I would suspect
> your yacc/lex parser is OK and the problem is somewhere in
> the line editing functions (readline). I have not looked,
> but I suspect there is an option to "configure" which would
> disable the line editing functions.
>
> Can you try running the same binary from a different user name
> just to see if there might be something in your environment setup
> that is causing trouble?
Yes! I hadn't thought of this :-((
Lower case 's' works fine from a different user ... I'will investigate further.
Will let you know what I find out.

Thank you all who responded so far,
Berni.