RE: 3D array

From: adler
Subject: RE: 3D array
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2001 20:11:43 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 13 Nov 2001, John W. Eaton wrote:
> On 13-Nov-2001, (Ted Harding) <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> | On 13-Nov-01 Laurent Jacques wrote:
> | > Hello,
> | >
> | > Do you plan to program 3D (and even ND) arrays into Octave ?
> | > If yes, do you think it is hard to realize ?
> | >
> | > For me, this is the main thing which prevents me to work only with
> | > octave for
> | > my scientific tasks.
> | >
> | > Laurent.
> |
> | As far as I know, John Eaton (nor other people who contribute
> | octave code) does not plan to extend octave to 3D arrays or
> | higher.
>
> Actually, there is some code in the development sources (in the files
> liboctave/ArrayN.{h,cc}, liboctave/ArrayN-idx.h, and
> src/ov-re-nd-array.{h,cc}) that are a start, but they need to be
> finished, and then lots of other code will need to be changed to make
> use of the new N-d array data type(s).
>
> Volunteers are welcome.  Nicely written working code preferred.
> Corresponding documentation earns extra credit!  :-)

Out of interest, how should arithmetic on N dim arrays
be defined?

Is there one natural way to implement it (such as is the
case with 2D matrices) or is it somewhat arbitrary as to
how it should be done?

I haven't used N dim arrays in Matlab. For those who have:
Is that Matlab implementation well thought out?
Or are there inconsistencies and ambiguities (as is
fairly common in some of the worse thought out parts of
Matlab syntax)?

Just interested ...
Andy Adler,                address@hidden