Error messages executing function script

From: William Kreamer
Subject: Error messages executing function script
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2002 09:29:33 -0500

The script included in this email is a working function to determine whether
a given number is prime. However, when I first run it, inputting a number
such as 29.0, I get the error messages:
  can't perform indexing operation for <unknown type> type
  evaluating assignment expression near line 3, column 3

When I run the script again, it works perfectly. Please help.

#This Octave function script will take a number passed to it
#determine whether it is prime.

function y = is_prime (x)
y = 0;
x = abs(x);