Re: how to read images-files

From: Etienne Grossmann
Subject: Re: how to read images-files
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2002 17:50:48 +0000

  Hello,

Ariel Tankus (http://www.math.tau.ac.il/~arielt/misc.html) wrote some
image i/o functions, amongst which the following :
octave:20> help readimagefile
readimagefile is the user-defined function from the file
/home/etienne/prog/octave/mylib/octave-mylib/tools/imgio/readimagefile.m

[im, isPpm, maxval] = readimagefile(fname, force_gray)

fname      : string : name of image file.
force_gray : flag   : (opt) if true, the returned image is a gray level
                      image, even if the file contained a color image.
                      (default: false)
im         : matrix : an image.  Note, that if force_gray == false, the
                      image might by a PPM representation of the image.
isPpm      : flag   : 1 : `im' is in PPM format.
                      0 : `im' is a graylevel matrix.
maxval     : int    : Maximum luminosity level (usually 255)

See also: readpnm, readfi, readjpg, readgif, splitppm.

readimagefile    Read an image file of any supported image format.
                 The currently supported formats are:
                 PGM/PPM (both ascii and binary), FI, JFIF, IMG and GIF.

I added some ugly wrapping and put it on my homepage
(http://anonimo.local/~etienne/octave).

  Cheers,

  Etienne