Re: Fwd: Re: Compilation problem / octave-2.0.16 / movie / mpeg question

From: Roberto Hernandez
Subject: Re: Fwd: Re: Compilation problem / octave-2.0.16 / movie / mpeg question
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2002 11:16:02 -0300

SA wrote:
Dear Octave Help,

I have 2 questions-

(2) Is there any movie / animation facility in octave?  If not has
anyone made any attempt
to do this or are there any alternatives--- Would a
octave->gnuplot->framestore->imagemagik->mpeg movie
approach be sensible  and could I code this via an octave mfile without
delving into the octave source?
Is there a way of sucking a bitmap back from a gnuplot window and
displaying it from octave in a sensible
way (ie could I use this to provide the equivalent of M(i)=getframe to
build a movie?).

If you use PLplot (http://plplot.sourceforge.net) instead of GNUPlot there is an animation feature. Besides that there are quite a few other advantages, such as more plotting functions, added speed, etc.

ps I have some general questions-- how active is octave development, of
the free matlab interpreters is
octave <active / likely to continue> or <inactive / likely to be
upsurped by scilab or something else> ?

I wouldn't really think of Octave as a "free matlab interpreter". It is an independent numerical computation tool. Being mostly matlab-compatible is _ONE_ of its features. You might want to read "Octave: Past, Present and Future" (http://www.che.wisc.edu/jbr-group/tech-reports/twmcc-2001-03.pdf)

IMHO Octave is one of the best open-source numerical tools out there. As far as I can tell (and this involves no formal research) the three largest open-source numerical computation projects are: Octave, Scilab and TELA. Hammersmith-Consulting used to have a nice summary of the three, but unfortunately they closed down and that's no longer available online.

BTW, these are open-source projects with _VOLUNTEER_ developers, so I don't think the practice of "usurpation" is likely. That seems like something that would happen if Matlab were to pose a threat to Microsoft.

- Roberto