Re: Update: Auto-reload not working in 2.1.34/Linux

From: John Collins
Subject: Re: Update: Auto-reload not working in 2.1.34/Linux
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2002 11:28:44 -0600

John Collins wrote:

I've been using Octave for some time, mostly 2.1.33 on a Redhat Linux 7.1 system. I moved over to RH 7.2 and Octave 2.1.34, and I find that the "automatic reload" function doesn't work any more when I edit a function file. The value of ignore_function_time_stamp is "system", as expected. When I edit a function file and then re-invoke the function, I see the old version. I don't see any way to force loading a new version short of restarting Octave. I'm running Octave inside of emacs, and I've tried using the emacs "send current function" option in the code buffer, but the comments don't get parsed correctly when I do that. I don't see any way to manually force reload of a function if the timestamp method fails.

Is this a known problem, or am I missing something fundamental here?

A little more exploration reveals that this happens with the function file resides on an nfs-mounted volume, but octave does the right thing if the function file is on a local volume. Anyone know whether this is an octave problem or a Linux problem?

Cheers -

John Collins