Re: Fw: Derivate

From: Ben Sapp
Subject: Re: Fw: Derivate
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2002 08:42:39 -0600

Hi Oscar,

You can do this with the development version of Octave if you have
GiNaC(www.ginac.de) installed and then you get the
octave-forge(octave.sourceforge.net) package and install it.  It will detect
GiNaC and install the symbolic toolbox.    To take the derivative of the
sin(x) would look like this:

address@hidden ben]$ octave
GNU Octave, version 2.1.35 (i686-pc-linux-gnu).
Copyright (C) 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001 John W. Eaton.
This is free software with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
For details, type `warranty'.

*** This is a development version of Octave.  Development releases
*** are provided for people who want to help test, debug, and improve
*** Octave.
***
*** If you want a stable, well-tested version of Octave, you should be
*** using one of the stable releases (when this development release
*** was made, the latest stable version was 2.0.16).

octave:1> symbols
octave:2> x = sym("x")
x =

octave:3> a = Sin(x)
a =

sin(x)
octave:4> differentiate(a,x)
ans =

cos(x)
octave:5>

Good luck and I hope this helps.

Ben.

--
Ben Sapp                         Los Alamos National Laboratory
email: <mailto:address@hidden>   Phone: (505)667-3277