Re: Installing Debian binaries

From: Dirk Eddelbuettel
Subject: Re: Installing Debian binaries
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 08:24:03 -0500

Someone else reported a similar error recently. However, upon investigation,
we concluded that that user has installed version *4.2* of libreadline. This
version is incompatible with version *4.1* which is part of Debian 2.2 (the
stable release).

You either need to backtrack to libreadline 4.1, or recompile Octave for
the currently installed libreadline 4.2 on your system.  Email me in private
if you need help with either.

Dirk

> Hi. I'm new to Linux and Octave both. I tried to install version 2.0.16 off
> of Debian's site, and it seemd to install alright (no error msg's).
But when I try and run it, I get the error:

> octave: relocation error: /usr/lib/octave-2.0.16/liboctave.so: undefined
> symbol: screenheight
>
> Can anyone give me advice on how to right the ship?
>
> Thanks, John.
>

> See Dave Matthews Band live or win a signed guitar
> http://r.lycos.com/r/bmgfly_mail_dmb/http://win.ipromotions.com/lycos_020201/splash.asp

According to the latest figures, 43% of all signatures are totally worthless.