Re: Octave / cygwin / dynamic linking - success

From: Paul Kienzle
Subject: Re: Octave / cygwin / dynamic linking - success
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 17:02:33 -0400

On Sun, Sep 08, 2002 at 05:01:31PM -0400, Andy Adler wrote:
> Paul Kienzle wrote:
>
> >I haven't looked at the details of what you've done, but I successfully
> >built a lite-kernel version of octave yesterday, and spent last night
> >trying to update the configure scripts to do it automatically.  Here is
> >what I came up with.
> >

> Great. Try to see if you can get *oct files working with your patch.  It
> may simply require a link to the octave *dlls in the makefile

Oct-files work fine.

> If not, I propose letting your patches get integrated first, then I'll
> see whats
> left of my stuff to integrate.

My patches are a little bit broken.  Given the rebuild time, it will be a
while yet before I've got them solid.

> >DLLs must be installed in the bin directory and a new file, libxxx.dll.a,
> >must be installed in the lib directory.  I call these the load and link
> >forms respectively.  I tag them with SHLBIN and SHLLIB which I define in
> >configure.
> >
> AFAIK, cygwin does not require windows loader libraries (*.a or *.lib )
> files for dlls.
> (unlike MSVC++). You can directly link against the dll, and it will
> figure out what to do.

Only if you don't strip the DLL first.  But then you have a 12 Mb dll
instead of a 2.5 Mb dll in the case of liboctave.  Also, mkoctfile has
to link against the binary directory where the DLL's are installed rather
than the lib directory.  Are either of these a problem?

Paul Kienzle
address@hidden