Re: NEWBIE very interrested on octave

From: Dirk Eddelbuettel
Subject: Re: NEWBIE very interrested on octave
Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2002 20:45:52 -0500

On Sun, Oct 20, 2002 at 10:31:25PM -0300, rafaelmorais123 wrote:
> 1) how can I edit an m file with
> Octave? Is there any editor associated?

Emacs / XEmacs have a very sweet octave "mode" which many of us prefer to
the ultimately fairly restrictive ides that come with software like that.

> 2) How to add my working directory to
> the default path? I assume I have to
> change the Variable DEFAULT_LOADPATH,
> but how?

Edit ~/.octaverc and set something like

LOADPATH = [ ".:/home/mymyselfI/octave/oct//:/home/memyselfI/octave/m//:",
LOADPATH  ];

> 3) Is it possible to run a Matlab
> toolbox under Octave? for example the
> Mapping toolbox?

"It depends". Octave is more like Matlab4 so newer toolboxes will need work.
I never tried using one of their toolboxes; I am sure their copyright
prohibits it anyway.

As for third-party and academic toolboxes: quite a few, but not all, are
written for both matlab and octave. So, as I said, "it depends". I don't
know the mapping one.

> 4) Is there any Octave counterpart for
> the Mapping Toolbox? Any of you guys
> using maps on Octave?

Not me.

I use GNU R more these days, and among its users are people doing spatial
stuff, and talking maps. You might want to google the ML archive at
www.r-project.org.

Dirk

--
Good judgement comes from experience; experience comes from bad judgement.
                                                            -- Fred Brooks