Applying function to vector by index

From: Iago Mosqueira
Subject: Applying function to vector by index
Date: Mon, 9 Dec 2002 16:22:17 -0000

Hi,

I have a long vector classified in ten bins of different length according to
another vector. I want to estimate the variance, or any other function, of
the values from the first vector for each of the categories described by the
second, without using a loop. Is there any obvious way of doing this I am
overlooking? In R one could do

    sapply(split(d,idx),var)

where d is my data vector and idx the index vector.

Many thanks,

iago