News (Good and Bad) on OfW

From: Agustin Barto
Subject: News (Good and Bad) on OfW
Date: Sat, 14 Dec 2002 15:02:12 -0300

After some time of inactivity (exams, graduate thesis, etc.) I started working on OfW again. Here are the news:

Good News:

I made a new installer package that supports English and Spanish, using the new NSIS 2 system. Let me know if you can contribute with aditional languages (all you have to do is translate 5 or 6 short messages). I'll upload it tonight (GMT-3). I dropped the atlas+octave-forge from the package name (It's just too long).

Bad News:

1) The latest cygwin refuses to compile. A lot of people is complaing about this on the cygwin list but there isn't a definitive solution. The problem is with gcc and a library version mismatch within the source package. I can't solve this. 2) The latest ATLAS doesn't compile with the latest cygwin gcc. I downgraded to 3.2.1 and it compiled fine. 3) Octave 2.1.40 doesn't compile with the latest gcc. (I read about this on the list).
4) I've seen a new octave-forge but I haven't tried to compile it yet.

Agustin