octave and image processing

From: Al Niessner
Subject: octave and image processing
Date: 19 Dec 2002 19:58:41 -0500

How can/should octave be changed to allow for processing very large
images?

In case you have not guessed by my sudden increase in traffic on this
list, I am looking at octave to replace some home grown math engine use
to process very large images -- several gigabytes per image. The current
tool uses Fortran at its heart and has Fortran grammar and passes
everything by reference. This in turn reduces the memory consumption
which is important considering the ubiquity of 32 addressing machines.

The first thing to test was converting our C/C++ and Fortran algorithms
to use with octave. Piece of cake.

The second thing to determine is how to minimize the memory
requirements. Although the cost of memory is cheap, 32 bit addressing is
ubiquitous right now; thus, the 4 GB limit is too. This is a real
problem because I would like to load images close to that limit. To make
life simple, lets say a 16k x 16k image which should be 2 GB. One
function call and I am out of memory because of the 32 bit addressing.

I have been trying to think how to allow for very large images inside of
octave. I should note that I am not willing to make large changes to
octave in order to do this because it would then have all the same
problems as the current tool -- maintainability. So I have come up with
two possible solutions: One, create a user defined type called 'image'
that would behave differently than a matrix in that it would never be
copied. Two, create a user defined type call 'image_handle' that would
allow access to the image data in the way a file handle allows access to
files. By themselves, I do not think either of these will work in the
end.

I then thought that a 'subimage' would be necessary in order to allow
the rest of octave to treat it as a true matrix. In this way, one could
still operate on portions of the image -- much smaller than 2 GB -- as a
true matrix and then use dynamically loaded functions (.oct files) that
could do in-place operations do full image manipulation. If that were
the case, I would make 'image' directly immutable to the interpreter,
but allow .oct files to manipulate it in-place since passing by
reference is more natural to C/C++ and Fortran than the octave compiler.
The hurdle in this instance is do you make the programmer reintegrate
the subimage or should it be done automatically. Of course, there could
be two types of subimages where the caller could choose at creation time
if they want implicit or explicit reintegration of the subimage into the
original image.

These are the best ideas I could come up with given my limited
familiarity with octave. Since many of you have a lot more experience, I
would appreciate any and all guidance you can give me.

Al Niessner