Re: non linear fit

From: Henry F. Mollet
Subject: Re: non linear fit
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2003 18:11:58 -0800

The gnuplot manual (3 Dec. 1998, p. 19 ff) has a statistical overview on
non-linear-least-squares and gives practical guidelines. You have to
A) define your fitting function f(x,y), then
B) fit(x,y) 'datafile' .......
The fitting procedure must use least squares by default and it is probably a
y-on-x non-linear-least square fit. I don't know how you could specify your
own "loss-function", e.g. if you wanted to use max. likelihood instead of
least squares or if you wanted to use a geometrical mean (GM) regression
(would be called for if you have about equal measurement error for both x
and y data points).
Henry