Re: How to input tabular data through a form?

From: Miquel Cabanas
Subject: Re: How to input tabular data through a form?
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 10:17:36 +0100

hi,

On Tue, Jan 21, 2003 at 11:23:22AM +0530, Ananda Murthy R S wrote:

> Is there any way of creating a form in which the user can just
> fill in data? All data are numerical in nature.
>
> The user should also be able to edit, add or remove any row in
> the table already entered.
>
> What is the best way to do this in Octave? Kindly advise.

you can either (1) use a plain text editor and separate your
columns with a certain character ("," and "tabs" are the most
common ones) and then read the file into Octave [1], or (2) use
excel/gnumeric or whatever spreadsheet you like to enter and
manipulate your data and therein and then export it (Save as)
in CSV format (comma separated). Such files can be easily
read into octave with a command like,

X = aload("data.csv", Inf, Inf, ",");

that i've copied & pasted from Dirk Eddelbuettel, "Econometrics
with Octave", Journal of Applied Econometrics, Vol. 15, No. 5,
pp. 531-542, December 2000, available at
http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com/bio/papers.html

The 'aload' function above is part of the octave-ci package, which
facilitates the reading of ascii files. Iit is available at
ftp://ftp.ci.tuwien.ac.at/pub/octave/

Last, if you are running linux, give a try to G-octave, a
gnome interface to octave, supposedly (haven't tried it) it
is able to import CSV files and comes with a matrix editor,
sort of limited spreadsheet. It is available at
http://sophie.kstraight.net/goctave/

[1] see File I/O in the octave manual, or check the sourceforge
site at http://octave.sourceforge.net for extra functions.
ftp://ftp.ci.tuwien.ac.at/pub/octave/

Miquel

--