Re: compiling octave-2.1.46

From: David Bateman
Subject: Re: compiling octave-2.1.46
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 06:54:17 -0600

According to Paul Kienzle <address@hidden> (on 03/17/03):
> torsten wrote:
>
> >I'm not sure what is in gcc-3.2 that the octave developers prefer,
> >but that's the way it goes.
> >

> CVS versions of octave and octave-forge will compile
> with any gcc 3+, even the Red Hat 2.96 pre-release.  I
> haven't tried with 2.95, but I'm guessing there are
> issues with the standard libraries and headers.  The
> 3.2 restriction was removed by testing for the one or
> two features which depend upon it and doing
> something else in those cases.
>
> Paul Kienzle
> address@hidden

Yes, the code has been fixed to allow > 2.96, but the test

case "$gxx_version" in
  1.* | 2.[[0123456789]].* | 3.0.*)
    AC_MSG_ERROR([g++ version $gxx_version will probably fail to compile
Octave])
  ;;
esac

is still in configure.in in the CVS. So you'll still have a failure
in the configuration for g++ < 3.1.x

Regards
David

Motorola CRM                                 +33 1 69 35 25 00 (Ph)
Espace Technologique, Commune de St Aubin    +33 1 69 35 25 01 (Fax)
91193 Gif-Sur-Yvette FRANCE

[x] General Business Information
[ ] Motorola Internal Use Only
[ ] Motorola Confidential Proprietary