Re: Nonlinear equation

From: Lorenzo Fiorentini
Subject: Re: Nonlinear equation
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 12:36:36 +0200

If you really want to use Newton's method you need to
calculate the derivative dy/dx first.

If I am not wrong, differentiating both sides...

dy/dx= 1/(a*(1-1/b-ln(y/b))

Use this derivative at your own risk (bla bla, GPL stuff ;-)
Please check it!!

Lorenzo

Il 16/04/2003 6.03.55, Heber Farnsworth
<address@hidden> ha scritto:

>Newton's method finds (hopefully) zeros of functions.  So if
you move
>the x0 to the right hand side you have a function which is
zero at  the
>correct value of y.  If a, b, and x0 are constants then just
define
>your function that way.  If they are parameters that you may
have to
>change on subsequent runs you may want to make them global
variables as
>I've done below.  Define a function
>
>function f = myfunc(y)
>global a b x0
>f = a*y*log(b) - a*y*log(y) + a*y - x0;
>endfunction
>
>Then at the octave prompt (after you have set your global
variables)

address@hidden wrote:

>> Hello,
>>
>> Can you help me how to solve a nonlinear equation given
by:

http://www.octave.org/archive.html