graph produced by hist() to gnuplot,eps,LaTeX?

From: jan
Subject: graph produced by hist() to gnuplot,eps,LaTeX?
Date: 06 May 2003 23:13:20 +0200

Hi all,

My task: I have some data (a list of floats) I want to create a
histogram of [1, 1, 2, 2, 3, 3, 3, 4, 4, 5, 6] should be plotted as:

        |  |  |  |
        |  |  |  |  |  |

        1  2  3  4  5  6

Furthermore I want to fit this data with (or simply plot to the same
image) a "Gauss" curve (i.e. I need a plot, optionally fit, of a
function).

The resulting image should be integrated with a LaTeX document, maybe
I'll need post-processing. Thus I'd love to get eps, some bitmap format
or LaTeX source.

I'm a newbie to both octave and gnuplot but I managed to get the first
one with octave's hist() function but I have no idea how to get function
(not data) plot from octave and how to create an output image file. [The
package octave-epstk can't handle [e]hist()]

Gnuplot could do both for me (plot the function and write output image
file) but how can I get the data into gnuplot (format). I'm quite sure
octave works out the lenghtes of the histogram bars to plot them with
gnplout's "plot ... with boxes" command, thus, it should be fairly
simple to get the data and continue processing with gnuplot.

GNU Octave, version 2.0.16.92 (i386-pc-linux-gnu)
gnuplot 3.7.2
debian woody

If you have any ideas please let me know. Thanks in advance.

Jan