Re: creating Inf*i

From: A S Hodel
Subject: Re: creating Inf*i
Date: Mon, 12 May 2003 09:20:53 -0500

I'd be curious what the IEEE standard for this kind of operation specifies. If you view the complex plane as an honest-to-goodness plane, then what you're saying makes sense. If, on the other hand, you view it as the Riemann sphere, then "all roads lead to infinity" - and there's only one infinity, at the top of the sphere. This latter viewpoint is how one has to interpret a number of control-theoretic results in complex analysis.

As a result, there may be some ambiguity of what i*inf returns - although, like you, I'd like to see it be 0 + i*inf.