From: Mike Miller
Subject: loading a filename beginning with a digit
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2003 20:25:55 -0500 (CDT)

Suppose, for example, that I have a file named 2x.txt with these contents:

1 3
9 5

(Just two lines with two integers per line, but in real life I'll want to
do this with larger files!)  When I load the file, I am not able to access
the data.  (Please don't tell me to rename the file!  I just want to make
the load function work within a script I'm writing no matter what the
filename, if that's possible.)  I did this in a couple of versions of
Octave on Solaris 8:

octave:1> load 2x.txt
octave:2> whos

*** local user variables:

prot  type               rows   cols  name
====  ====               ====   ====  ====
 wd   matrix                2      2  2x

octave:3> 2x
parse error:

>>> 2x
     ^

octave:3> "2x"
ans = 2x
octave:4> eval("2x")
parse error:

>>> 2x
     ^

error: evaluating index expression near line 4, column 1

So, Octave seems to load the 2x2 matrix, but I just can't figure out how
to get at it.  (I thought Octave didn't allow variables beginning with a
digit.)  I'd really like to be able to rename the loaded matrix, but how?

Thanks in advance for any tips!

Mike

--
Michael B. Miller, Ph.D.