loooooong vector difficulties

From: Robert Leach
Subject: loooooong vector difficulties
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 10:22:10 -0600

Hi,

I have some data that's huge. It's a string of zeroes and ones that I want to split up into a vector as input to a wavelet transform. I'm talking 9 million elements. I have 3 of these vectors. First of all, even calling zeros(1,9000000) takes forever. I do that to initially populate a convolution kernel and then change the first and last 10 elements with taps. Even those two, ten-iteration loops take forever. Second, octave eventually chokes.

Is there anything I can do to

1: improve performance so that operations it does successfully go faster 2: make octave more amenable to large data structures so it doesn't crash

?

If that's not possible, then what affect on my results would splitting up the data have?

Thanks,
Rob

= Robert W. Leach                                                   =
= Los Alamos National Lab                                           =
= Bioscience Division: Bioinformatics & Computational Biology Group =
= MS M888                                                           =
= Los Alamos, NM 87545                                              =
= address@hidden                                                 =
= 505-667-2307                                                      =
Work Calendar & To-Do List: http://66.93.220.190/phpicalendar/week.php?cal=Work