Multidimensional array toolbox

From: Ronald Kumon
Subject: Multidimensional array toolbox
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 09:23:16 -0400 (EDT)

Octave, I am posting a beta version of small toolbox which I put together
last year.  I had been waiting to write up better documentation before
releasing it, but now I don't see having much time for the forseeable
future.  Hopefully, the scripts will still be of use, as I tried to
document the files internally.

The approach is a bit clunky in that the multidimensional arrays are
implemented as structures, but it is functional for simple tasks.  I also
went for generality over efficiency, so there isn't an inherent limit to
the number of dimensions possible, but I'm fairly sure that the routines
aren't that fast.

See the attached README file for details.  In the attached archive, there
are also some examples regarding the use of such arrays for some simple
calculations in elasticity theory.

Thanks to Ted Harding and others who had posted some comments to this list
in 1997 regarding how such arrays could be implemented.  Thanks also to
the U.S. National Research Council for a research associateship during
which I wrote these scripts.  Of course, the responsibility for any errors
is mine alone.  Unfortunately, I don't really have time to provide any
support.

If people find this toolbox useful, it would probably make sense to put
these files into octave-forge.  How would I go about doing that?
--Ron