Warning messages in latest CVS of octave

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Warning messages in latest CVS of octave
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2003 14:04:45 -0500

On 17-Oct-2003, David Bateman <address@hidden> wrote:

| What do these messages mean in the latest CVS of octave
|
| warning: overriding assignment conversion for types `<unknown type>' and
`matrix'

This means that when you are installing your new data type, there is
already a preferred assignment conversion for assignments of matrix to
unknown type and you are replacing it with a new definition.

| warning: overriding widening op for `fixed scalar' to `fixed matrix'

Likewise, this means that when you are installing your new data type,
there is already a widening op for converting a fixed scalar to a
fixed matrix and you are replacing it with a new definition.

| Please note "fixed scalar" and "fixed matrix" are two new types I've
| been working on. However, I don't get these error messages with
| 2.1.49, and although I can no longer test it (the CVS installed over
| it) I didn't get it with 2.1.50 either.
|
| I presume this has something to do with the recent changes for N-D
| arrays. What is it exactly that needs modifying to fix this, as I
| presume this problem has already been come across.

Yes, these warnings were added recently.  But other than that, the
code in ov-typeinfo.cc has not changed.  So with earlier versions,
Octave was failing to tell you about a potential problem.

jwe