Re: run Octave from Excel

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: run Octave from Excel
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 15:49:41 -0600

On 30-Oct-2003, Mike Miller <address@hidden> wrote:

| For those of us who have heard of DCOM only because of it's recent
| security problems, what would a DCOM interface allow users to do?  Would
| it allow a user on one Windows machine to run Octave code on another
| machine without logging in?  Just wondering.

I'm no DCOM expert (that's why I'm asking for help; also, please
correct me if what I say is wrong) but my understanding is that it
would allow people to use Octave directly from other Windows
applications that understand DCOM (Excel, LabView, whatever).  Some
people might find this useful.  It is also my understanding that the
two processes that are communicating using DCOM do not have to be
running on the same machine.

jwe