Reinstall Octave after a Cygwin install

From: THOMAS Paul Richard
Subject: Reinstall Octave after a Cygwin install
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2003 09:12:21 +0100

Dear All,

By one of those random walks that seem to happen all the time, I had
installed Octave on my Windows XP based machine a little while ago.  I then
found myself needing Cygwin/XFree86/Nedit/KDE, did the install and, lo and
behold, Octave no longer works from the desktop and does not function
properly from Cygwin.  The system detects the default (newer) Cygwin and
promptly gets screwed up by the incorrect and missing environmental
settings.  Has anybody got a check list of modifications that are needed to
profiles, start-up files etc., or would I do better to reinstall?  I started
out setting up symbolic links to the various components but Octave
resolutely refuses to communicate with Gnuplot.

Incidentally, the Cygwin-KDE combination is really astounding.  The reason
that I installed it was to avoid flipping, via Grub, between XP and Linux
quite as frequently as I was doing.  With Cygwin-KDE, I have to pinch myself
occasionally to remember whether I am working on Linux or XP..... The only
hitch was with the KDE installation; this is still a beta release and you
have to be a bit attentive to the FAQs and Forum threads to get it to work
with the latest Cygwin (two "bugs" - all the Cygwin drives are mounted in
"textmode" rather than binary and kcminit has to be eliminated from the
start-up .bat file, otherwise it stops at keyboard initialisation).

I would thoroughly Cygwin-KDE as a working environment if you are
unavoidably rooted in Windows.  What you will need to install, is to visit:

http://www.cygwin.com/   - the web installation is very smooth
http://www.cygwin.com/xfree/  - this is part of the cygwin installation but
info here is very good
http://www.nedit.org/   - I cannot work without Nedit, so the Windows