Re: A little more privacy

From: Steven Levine
Subject: Re: A little more privacy
Date: Thu, 06 Nov 2003 10:00:34 -0800

In <address@hidden>, on 11/06/03
   at 12:46 PM, Lute Kamstra <address@hidden> said:

>> nameAThostDOTwhatever the chances are better that your name doesn't
>> end up on a spammer's address list.

>Don't email harvesters see thought that little trick by now?

Any encoding will eventually be transparent to the spammers.  It's their
job to figure out how to get around any encoding we might choose.  We
might not like their chosen profession, but it's what they do.

IMO, there's only two reliable solutions.  Enforce the laws that exist or
lean on the ISPs to install better spam detection software.

The later is important for those that pay by the minute for their
connection time.  It also causes the ISPs to absorb more of the costs of
fighting spam.  This gives them more of an incentive to find ways to stop
it at the source.

There's a downside to obfusticating addresses in the archive.  You might
honestly want to contact someone regarding a post and you won't be able
to.

Regards,

Steven

"Steven Levine" <address@hidden>  MR2/ICE 2.37 #10183 Warp4/FP15/14.093c_W4