TR: [sciclub] Scilab news

From: THOMAS Paul Richard
Subject: TR: [sciclub] Scilab news
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2003 12:53:03 +0100

Since I work for one of the organisations in the Scilab Consortium, I feel
"honour bound" to circulate this to you all.  Scilab is going to get serious
support; in particular, the consortium is going to sponsor 5 people to work
on it full-time.  You will be able to read of where Scilab is going - in
particular, a major release, version 3, is slated for next year.  Version
2.7 is already quite serious; in particular for the introduction of handle
graphics, à la Matlab.  The native Windows version is noticably slicker than
that for Unix but they are functionally identical.

One major initiative, that has bought Scilab a lot of support, is its use as
a teaching aid in French high schools.  Aparently, 10s of thousands of
teenagers have tested it to death!

However, the consortium represents some very serious, large-scale users and
I expect that we will see some rapid development here.

Paul