Re: Starting using octave

From: acoohdb
Subject: Re: Starting using octave
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2003 01:03:11 -0600

You (Mark P. Esplin <address@hidden>) write:

>For the old time Unix user, it makes perfect sense that octave
>doesn't include it's own editor and that the way you use it is to use your
>own farorite editor.

This is absolutely fine by me, however the procedure for using a
separate editor and compiling and running octave should be put down
somewhere for new users. For the windows build, I would suggest in a
readme.

Remember the procedure for getting into windows packages where there is
no documentation is:

1) Read the readme and any other .txt files that appear in the directory
(well, often the last thing you do).

2) Run the <program name>.exe and see what you get.

and/or

   Run any likely looking .bat files (like say start.bat).

The simple minded way would be a start.bat that loads notebook and a
text file that gives instructions (rem'ed out) and a short example
program. A small number of simple programs showing the use of a
selection of useful options, like using gnuplot, that windows users will
never have seen in their life, would also be extremely useful.

For a totally naive user trying to decipher the philosophy of an unknown
piece of software, some simple examples is hard to beat.

>For the windows user who is used to having programs that
>are totally self contained, it can be very frustrating trying to figure out
>how to edit and save your code and browse the help files. The idea that you
>have to use different utilities, might not even come to mind.

Even when it quite quickly does, the really elementary things you need
to get started are actually quite hard to find.

>I don't think
>octave needs pull down file, edit, run, and help menus, but maybe it needs a
>little explanation about why it doesn't have any.

Indeed.

--
Oz
DEMON address no longer in use.