Re: imread on OS X (Was: no subject)

From: Per Persson
Subject: Re: imread on OS X (Was: no subject)
Date: Sat, 6 Dec 2003 20:02:45 +0100

On Friday, December 5, 2003, at 05:32 AM, Paul Kienzle wrote:

On Dec 4, 2003, at 5:27 PM, Raiyan Kabir wrote:

Please help me as soon as possible. I need to use both imageload and imread. In case of imageload function it gives some problem with the hdf5. But individually hdf works with those images so do convert. I've tested both apps.

Somebody with more Mac experience than me will have to help you. On other machines, imread works for octave-2.1.40 and octave-2.1.48 --- I don't know why
it wouldn't work for 2.1.46 on os x.

It works for me with OS X 10.2.8, octave 2.1.50 built from source.
[per ~] % gcc -v
Reading specs from /usr/libexec/gcc/darwin/ppc/3.3/specs
Thread model: posix
gcc version 3.3 20030304 (Apple Computer, Inc. build 1435)

Looking at imread.m, it uses fread() which suffered from an infamous bug in libsdtc++ in previous versions which probably causes the problem.

Updating i) the developer tools and ii) the fink package descriptions and iii) reinstalling octave should probably fix your problem. (Check fink lists etc. too.)

/Per