function syntax versus shell command syntax

From: Thorsten Meyer
Subject: function syntax versus shell command syntax
Date: Sat, 06 Dec 2003 22:48:09 +0100

Hi there,

in octave the general syntax for function calls is
  my_function(parameter, ...)
There are, however, some functions like load, gplot and more which alternatively allow to be called in a more shell like way, e.g.
  load -force -ascii data
Still, these function also allow to be called like this:
  load("-force", "-ascii", "bla")

Is there a way to define a function that behaves in the same way, i.e.:
if octave gets an input line like
  my_function one two three
it interprets it as
  my_function("one", "two", "three")
i.e., take everything between the starting keyword and the end of line (or colon or semicolon) and feed it to the function given by the keyword as a list of strings (without any variable interpolation in the perl sense to keep it simple).

This way one could write nice wrappers for shell commands like e.g. ghostview.
(I have a function ghostview.m but keep forgetting that I am not on the
shell level and write ghostview mypicture.eps instead of ghostview("mypicture.eps"))

thanks

Thorsten