Re: curses on octave

From: Paul Kienzle
Subject: Re: curses on octave
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2003 18:50:10 -0500

On Dec 19, 2003, at 12:10 PM, John W. Eaton wrote:

On 19-Dec-2003, address@hidden <address@hidden> wrote:

| On Dec 19, 2003 at 2:50am, address@hidden wrote:
|
| wtm >OK: My program gives a OK results. I like to improve it doing a GUI, and | wtm >I think ncurses is a good idea becouse they do not depends on XWindow,
| wtm >and they are enough for my purposes.
|
| Okay. Then I suggest that you do some inter-process communication to
| achieve this. Octave has utilities to help you with this:

I think it would also be interesting to have an Octave interface to
the ncurses library, but I don't think this is a very high priority
project.  Probably it is something that should be done with matwrap or
a similar approach (describe the interface to the functions, then
generate the wrappers automatically, at least as much as possible).

But the octave function interface is so much richer than C!  I like
the Tcl/Tk approach of hiding the details and presenting a clean
interface rather than the Perl approach of providing direct access
to the raw library.

Of course, if we used libffi to provide direct access to the library,
we could write the clean interface in Octave itself rather than C++.

Paul Kienzle
address@hidden