Re: Testing endianness

From: Paul Kienzle
Subject: Re: Testing endianness
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 21:25:05 -0500

On Jan 16, 2004, at 12:49 PM, John W. Eaton wrote:

How about the following patch?  With it

  octave_config_info ("words_big_endian")

and

  octave_config_info ("words_little_endian")

return TRUE or FALSE, and

  octave_config_info ("float_format")

will return a string (either ieee_big_endian or ieee_little_endian on
most current systems where Octave can actually run, the notable
exception being the Cray SV1).

If ever I need this (and I don't see why I would since
fread/fwrite deals with endian issues for me), how
would I use it?  Do I need to test both conditions as
in the following:

    if octave_config_info("words_little_endian")
        do little endian stuff
    elseif octave_config_info("words_big_endian")
        do big endian stuff
    else
        error("not little endian or big endian")
    endif

Thanks,

Paul Kienzle
address@hidden