Re: Which version of Octave?

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Which version of Octave?
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 21:49:22 -0500

On 24-Mar-2004, Joe Koski <address@hidden> wrote:

| Since octave and octave-forge are moving targets, keeping a Mac installer
| current would be a continuing problem.

Dirk Eddelbuettel faces the same problem for the Debian packages, yet
seems to manage quite well.  I think he now has a nice set of scripts
that make packaging relatively easy.  Perhaps he would be willing to
say what the time requirements are for him now, and how much effort it
was to get the scripts in shape to make tracking new snapshots
somewhat less of a burden.

| I've been using Octave less than a year, and have used versions
| numbered all the way from 2.1.36 to 2.1.50, and am currently looking
| into 2.1.57.

Is that a problem?  You do want progress, don't you?  For a long time,
we had the opposite problem, of nearly stalled development.  I think
I know which situation most users of Octave would prefer.  The
"development" vs. "testing" designations for snapshots is a way to
address the issue of constant upgrades.  Eventually, we will have
another stable release, but probably not for a while.

jwe