Re: use of Alt-p (more info)

From: Christoph Dalitz
Subject: Re: use of Alt-p (more info)
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2004 11:53:07 +0200

> On Wed, Jun 16, 2004 at 11:46:24AM -0500, Mike Miller wrote:
> > On Wed, 16 Jun 2004, Mike Miller wrote:
>
> > I am seeing identical behavior in Cygwin (v. 2.1.49, downloaded yesterday)
> > and on Solaris (v. 2.1.46 compiled with readline).  I can recall commands
> > with Ctrl-p or Ctrl-n and edit them normally using Ctrl-d, Ctrl-w, Ctrl-y,
> > Ctrl-h, Ctrl-b, Ctrl-f, Ctrl-a, and Ctrl-e.  It is only when I use the Alt
> > key that I have problems.

Octave uses readline which does not use Alt-p by default for command history.
Maybe it is possible with some entries in /etc/inputrc to change the
keybindings.

If you want to stick to Alt-p for some reason, I would suggest as a simpler
method to run octave as a subprocess in Emacs:

 a) in Emacs type "ESC-x shell"
 b) in the shell buffer start octave

Emacs by default uses Alt-p and Alt-n for history navigation in the shell
buffer.

Christoph