Re: long memory in graphic settings

From: Dmitri A. Sergatskov
Subject: Re: long memory in graphic settings
Date: Wed, 07 Jul 2004 13:23:50 -0600

address@hidden wrote:
Thanks for the answer. It turns out that the cure was different in my
case (at least for the first problem: I isshued the command gshow
xrange, and from the answer I gathered that it remembered the "invert"
option. Gset xrange noinvert solved the problem.

Well, there are probably more than one way to solve that problem.
I advocate against using "gset" (or 'gplot' for that matter) command
unless you need to do something special, which "normal" octave
commands ('plot()','axis()', 'print()', etc will not do.
In my case the following

octave:1> s=randn(10);
octave:2> plot (s)
octave:3> axis([10,1,3,-3])
octave:4> replot
octave:5> axis([1,10,-3,3])
octave:6> replot

works as expected. (I have set automatic_replot = 0 in my .octaverc,
otherwise you do not need to type 'replot' at all)

You should be aware also that octave -> gnuplot is one way
communication -- octave cannot read gnuplot internal variables.

Leafing through old messages related to octave-gnuplot graphics, I found
the recommandation to define the size of the gnuplot window in the
.Xresources file. I shall try that before upgrading to gnuplot 4,

I think with gnuplot versions 3.8 and 4.0 you can re-size plot window with
a mouse -- just like with most other X11 applications.

unless..: I understood from one of your mails that one can interact with
the graph with the mouse (zooming) and by inputing some characters, like
h, p etc. This does not work on my system. Did I omit something in the
installation, or that requires gnuplot 4 ?

You need to set up mouse mode as the very first gnuplot-related command.

Thankis, Avraham

Regards,
Dmitri.