Re: Strange behaviour of FFT

From: Quentin Spencer
Subject: Re: Strange behaviour of FFT
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 14:03:47 -0500

I don't have time to write a full explanation right now, but the short answer is that this behavior is completely expected, and is due to the fundamental assumptions in the mathematical definition of the FFT that the signal is infinite and periodic with a period equal to the length of the FFT. For this reason the FFT by itself is usually not the best tool for spectrum analysis. Most advanced DSP textbooks discuss this issue and the various approaches to spectrum estimation that have been proposed over the years. These usually involve some form of averaging FFTs together. I would suggest looking at the "pwelch" function that is included in the octave-forge package as a starting point.

regards,
Quentin

Jörg Kampmann wrote:

I am using the attached little program in order to test the limits etc. of "fft(a,n)"

I generate a superposition of sinewaves of 0.1 s duration and apply fft on it in order to get the power spectrum of the sinewaves.

Strange things seem to happen, perhaps somebody is able to help me or clarify matters:

when you run the Simulation02 you discover (with 10 Superpositions as indicated in variable "SuperPos") that a 200, 400, 600 etc. Hz you get nice power spectra peaks as expected. However at values in between I get strange effects at the footing area of the power spectra peaks, which you can easily observe.

I assume that stems from the way I construct the variable "ySinewave" and "tone".

I would like to get some practical hints on how to best use fft. The tutorial/documentation does not say much about it ...

Thanks in advance
Joerg