Octave's PATH not like Matlab's?

From: abdul-rahman
Subject: Octave's PATH not like Matlab's?
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2004 15:13:06 +0200 (METDST)

Dear all,

I am totally new to Octave. I have managed only to install, and run my old
matlab scripts, which is really cool.

I noticed that Octave only recognizes the *.m, i.e. the scripts, in my
specified paths, but not my input ascii data files. It is unlike in Matlab
where I can do fopen("mydatafile") without the full path name as long as
the file is in the PATH.

Is this correct? Or are there more variables I need to setup? There must
be somewhere in the manual that I missed out.

I want to also thank all of you who made this really impressive program.

Thanks a lot!

Razi